King Harald V of Norway has been admitted to hospital in Oslo to treat water retention caused by a recent round of medical treatment.
The 89-year-old monarch, who is Europe's oldest reigning sovereign, is being closely monitored by doctors at the Rikshospitalet. The Norwegian royal palace announced on Monday that the king had been receiving cortisone treatment in recent weeks for haemolytic anaemia, a blood disorder.
The palace statement said this treatment led to water retention that required hospitalisation, adding that the king will take two weeks of sick leave.
The royal household said it would provide further updates on how this absence will affect the official programme of the monarchy.
Regency and royal health
Crown Prince Haakon, the king's eldest son, will take over royal duties as regent during his father's absence.
The crown prince has been caring for his wife, 52-year-old Crown Princess Mette-Marit, who underwent a vital lung transplant in June. She returned home on July 14 following a month in hospital.
At the time of her discharge, Crown Prince Haakon said the family were very happy the initial phase had gone so well. He noted that while a lengthy recovery period lay ahead and complications could arise, it was a great relief to have reached that stage.
King Harald has ruled Norway as a constitutional monarch since 1991. He has experienced several health problems in recent years but has consistently ruled out abdicating the throne.
Earlier this year, the king was hospitalised with an infection while holidaying in Tenerife with his wife, Queen Sonja. The queen also required a brief hospital admission in the spring to receive treatment for heart failure.
Monarchy controversies
The king's latest health concern follows a turbulent period for the Norwegian royal family.
His daughter, Princess Martha Louise, recently married an American who describes himself as a shaman.
Separately, Crown Princess Mette-Marit was named in files relating to Jeffrey Epstein, which revealed a past friendship between the future queen and the American child sex offender.
The crown princess also monitored the rape trial of her eldest son, Marius Borg Høiby, from a distance. Høiby was sentenced to four years in prison and remains under house arrest while he awaits an appeal hearing.
